V. A. Mali was born in Kolhapur on 23rd August 1911.
Veteran artist V. A. Mali is best known for his portrait paintings and representational art. The exhibition was held in Mumbai in celebration of his hundredth birthday.
Mali, who graduated in art studies from the famous Sir J. J. School of Arts, has his paintings on the walls of the High Court, the Parliament and other prestigious arenas. He has also done portraits of personalities like the mayor of Mumbai and G. D. Birla. Having painted for many decades, his work stands as an inspiration to many young artists.
His style of painting is distinct and clean, with master strokes that are characteristic to Mali. Being able to capture human emotions beautifully is a trademark that has always earned his portraitures respect. The art fraternity paid a tribute to the senior artist with the exhibition, which displayed some of his award-winning works too. One of them was Makadwala : a black and white portrait, which won a gold medal at the Madras Fine Arts Society annual exhibition in 1934.
- Completed two years of Diploma, Ketkar Institute of Art, Mumbai
- 1929 - 32 : Sir J. J. School of Art, Mumbai
- 2005 : Manifestations III, organised by Delhi Art Gallery, Nehru Center, Mumbai and Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi
- 2004 : Manifestations II, organised by Delhi Art Gallery, Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai and Delhi Art Gallery, New Delhi
Group Show :
- 1935 to 1948 : Participated in Annual Exibition at Bombay Art Society, Mumbai
- 2011 : Felicitation on hundreth birthday by the Art Society of India and Bombay Art Society, Mumbai
- 2005 : Received Roopdhara: A Life Time achievement Award, organised by Bombay Art Society, Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai
- 1991 : Felicitated by Art Society of India, Artists Centre, Bombay Art
Society and Jehangir Art Gallery at Jehangir Art Gallery, Bombay
- 1945 : Awarded Medal, Rajaram Art Society, Kolhapur
- 1945 : Gold Medal, Bombay Art Society, Bombay
- 1944 : Silver Trophy, Art Society of India, Bombay
- 1940 : Gold Medal, Academy of Fine Arts, Calcutta
- 1939 : Gold Medal, Academy of Fine Arts, Calcutta
- Victoria Memorial, Kolkata
- Prince of Wales Museum, Mumbai
- Baroda Museum, Vadodara
- Govt. of China
- India House, London
- New Council Hall Court, Mumbai
- High Court, Mumbai
- Municipal Corporation, Mumbai
- Harkisandas Hospital, Mumbai
- Delhi Art Gallery, New Delhi