Yasala Balaiah an established senior artist from Ibrahimpur was born in 1939 & now resides in Hyderabad. After completing his M. A. & B. Ed in Drawing & Painting in 1962 he took up a job as an art teacher. This multi talented artist, who is also an expert at Batik painting, at one time earned himself the nick name, “Batik Balaiah”, fascinating people all over the world with his dexterous experiments in this medium.
Balaiah is also known for his delightful paintings of ‘Telangana Women’, drawn from the beautiful rural backdrop of his native land. His colourful paintings of brightly attired, dark complexioned, straight nosed strong boned Telangana women, captured with a native, native candor brings a refreshing whiff of rural splendor.
Balaiah responds to his native landscape & the people with a completely uncontrived directness. Not analyzing, but simply responding with an instinct that is traditional yet contemporary in style.
Today Balaiah has retired from his job as a teacher & has devoted himself to working at his art full time. To his credit, he has participated in many solos & group shows, artist camps & received many awards, recently receiving the prestigious Veteran Artists awarded by the AIFACS, New Delhi.
- 2003 : Highly Commended certificate by the Hyderabad Art Society
- 2003 : Honoured as a veteran Artist by the Lalit Kala Samithi, Siddipet
- 2003 : Honoured as a Veteran Artist by the AIFACS, New Delhi - 1
- 2002 : Highly Commended certificate by the All India Fine Arts & Crafts Society State level Competition at Hyderabad.
- 2001 : Silver Medal from All India Art Competition, Hyderabad Art Society.
- 1998, 1997 : All India Art Competition Konaseema - Chitrakala Parishad, Amalapuram.
- 1997 : Lalithakala Kendram, Bapatia, Guntur Dist (A. P.)
- 1997 : Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University, Hyderabad
- 1996 : All India Art Competition Hyderabad Art Society Award
- 1994 : Shrama Shakthi Title by Gouthama Buddha Awards Committee, Hyderabad
- 1994 : National Award for Teachers by the President of India, New Delhi
- 1993 : Chitra Kala Praveena Title by Arya Vyshya Maha Sabha, Medak Dist.
- 1995, 1990, 1983, 1977, 1972 : Lalitha Kalasamithi, Siddipet Awards
- 1962 : 21st All India Art Exhibition, Art Society, Hyderabad
- His paintings are part of many private collections in India & abroad.