N. R. Sardesai was born on 19th November 1885 at Morde-taluka, Sangmeshwar, Ratnagiri, Maharashtra, India. In 1904 he passed Carpentry and Secondary Drawing Grade Examination at Ratnagiri School of Industry. In 1905 he passed Drawing Examination, Baroda and in 1906 he joined J. J. School of art, Bombay. In 1909 he passed Drawing Teacher Examination. In 1915 he worked for two months as a Art Teacher at J. J. School of Art, Bombay. During 1917- 1920 he was visiting faculty at J. J. School of Art, Bombay.
He was popular for observation, understanding of light falling on the form, and the accuracy of drawing. In case of N. R. Sardesai, there is an unpretentious realism that captures faultlessly the ordinariness.
- 1917 : Passed Art Masters Examination in Drawing and Painting, Bombay
- 1909 : Passed Drawing Teacher Examination
- 1906 : Joined J.J. School, Bombay
- 1905 : Passed Drawing Examination, Baroda
- 1904 : Passed Carpentry Exam and Secondary Drawing Grade Examination, Ratnagiri School of Industry
- 1941, 1935, 1933, 1931, 1930, 1916 : Mysore
- 1930 : Simla Fine Arts Society, Simla
- 1929, 1927 : Bombay Art Society, Bombay
- 1916, 1915, 1914, 1913 : Madras Art Society, Madras
- Prince of Wales Museum, Mumbai, J. J. School of Art, Mumbai, Nagpur Museum, Nagpur, Sri Bhavani Museum, Aundh