Ashok Dilwali, aged 70 years is a Professional Photographer since 1971.
He has been immersed in photography since his childhood since his father late Mr B K Dilwali
owned two premier photographic studios in New Delhi i.e., Kinsey Bros (established 1905) and
Simla Studios (established 1931).
After schooling from Modern School he graduated in Commerce from Shri Ram College of
Commerce and then went to join A F Ferguson & Co to qualify as a Chartered Accountant.
He entered the profession in 1971 and modernized his studio specializing in Studio
Portraiture, Outdoor Assignments, Colour Laboratory and allied fields of photography like
printing and processing.
He then developed his hobby of trekking in the Himalayas which has made him a household
name for his expertise on landscapes of the Himalayas. He has produced 23 books so far and
work is in progress on the 24th publication. In all these years he has contributed to several
newspapers, magazines and journals, both articles as well as photographs. His forte remains
He is a member of India International Centre, India Habitat Centre, Indian Mountaineering
Foundation. He is a member of Royal Photographic Society of UK and is a Fellow of Royal
He has also been exhibiting his work at various avenues and has guided many young aspirants
and initiated them in this filed of landscape work.
National Book Trust requested him to write a book for school and college students to acquaint
them with basics of photography. The book has met with much acclaim and is titled "All About
He owns a large variety of camera equipment and is now using digital cameras of both Nikon
and Canon brands.
Today he is very active and is a guide to many who wish to learn the craft and art of his field
and shoots for the pure pleasure of photography.
Photography Experience :
- In profession since 1971 with varied experience in all aspects of black and white and colour
Photography including studio portraiture and
outdoor assignments etc.
- Has held several exhibitions at Delhi, Bombay, and Kolkata
- Ganga-Origin and Descent of River Eternal
- Garhwal Himalayas;Ramparts of Heaven
- Kumaon Himalyas
- Andaman & Nicobar: Islands in the Sun
- Garhwal Kumaon
- Himachal Pradesh
- Maa Vaishno Devi
- Badri Kedar Yatra
- Himalayas : Dawn to Dark
- Vedas : An Essence
- Bhagavad Gita : An Essence
- All About Photography
- Photographing Himalayas
- Sayings from Vedas,Upanishads and Bhagvad Geeta
- Incredible India: Life and Landscapes
- Riding the Himalayas
- Pictorial Himachal
- Himalayas:Lens & Passion
- Himalayas;Trees & Forests
- Nicholas Roerich/Ashok Dilwali: Inspired by the Himalayas
- India International Centre
- India Habitat Centre
- Indian Mountaineering Foundation
- Royal Photographic Society
- Royal Geographical Society
Travel experience :
- Travel photography is the forte where much
guidance can be given to travellers who want
to benefit from his vast experience in this field.
Camera Equipment :
- Has worked with Hasselblads, Mamiya 67, Linhofs in film era but now on Canon and Nikon
in digital formats