Cartoonist Shivram Dattatreya Phadnis was born on July 29, 1925 at Bhoj, Dist. Belgaum, India. He took his formal art education at Sir J. J. School of Arts, Mumbai.
Extremely interested in cartooning, he moved to Pune with the strong active support of noted editor, late Mr. Anant Antarkar of Hans Publications, and started his career as a cartoonist and a humour illustrator. Since then, innumerable books and periodicals have been enlivened by the cartoons of S. D. Phadnis. He has carved a niche for himself in the field of humourous illustrations. Many of his works have been featured at the International Salon of Cartoons, Montreal, Canada.
His simple, captionless cartoons bring out the humour in everyday life, crossing the boundaries of language, region or class.
Married to Shakuntala, he has two daughters, Leena and Roopa. He has his own studio at Pune. Mrs. Shakuntala Phadnis, who is a writer, manages the Laughing Gallery exhibition and the Chitrahas show.
- 2012 : 'Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad Puraskar' for the book 'Reshatan' written by S. D. Phadnis.
- 2011 : Interview (with pictures) on TV channel IBN Lokmat, in 'Great Bhet' series
- 2011 : First Huns Puraskar by Huns Publications
- 2011 : 'Jeevan Gaurav Puraskar' by International Logevity Centre, India
- 2006 : Invitee participant in 'Cartoons from India' exhibition at Frankfurt World Book Fair
- 2001 : Lifetime Achievement Award, by Indian Institute of Cartoonists, Bangalore
- 2000 : Su. La. Gadre Matoshri Puraskar, Mumbai
- 2000 : Marmik Puraskar, Mumbai
- 2000 : Ravi Paranjape Foundation Award, Pune
- 1997 : Chitrahas and Laughing Gallery tours the US and the UK
- 1987 : University Grants Commission (UGC) broadcasts S. D. Phadnis programmes on National Television
- 1970 : First book of select cartoons, Laughing Gallery published
- 1966 : Laughing Gallery held in New Delhi. Inaugurated by former Indian President Zakir Hussein
- 1965 : First exhibition of coloured originals, Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai
- 1954 : Recieves Outstanding Editorial Art Award by Commercial Artist's Guild (CAG), Mumbai
- 1952 : First humourous cover on a Diwali Special issue of Mohini
- 1951 : First humourous cover on Huns magazine
- Many of his cartoons have been exhibited and published by the International Salon of Cartoons, Montreal, Canada.
- Some cartoons have also been published in periodicals of USA and Germany.
- S. D. Phadnis has designed the cover of the Diwali Special issue of the Mohini magazine, for every year since 1952.